Thursday, May 3, 2007

midsummer night's dream

The character that I found most interesting was Helena. She is an outspoken woman who is love struck and love sick over Demetrius, a man who had a brief relationship with her. Helena lives and breathes for him although he’d rather her do neither, he’s madly in love with Hermia who is madly in love with Lysander. Helena must watch the man she’s crazy about go head-over-heels for someone else. She’s desperate for Demetrius’ affection and although he pushes her away and bluntly says that he can’t stand her, she can’t help but love him. I like her because no matter what Demetrius says or does she loves him, she takes his threats and hateful words and to me, that makes her pretty tough. Actually I think persistent would be a better definition of this character.

The quote I thought was very strong was after Demetrius tells Helena that she disgusts him. She replies with,

“I am your spaniel, and, Demetrius,
The more you beat me I will fawn on you.
Use me but as your spaniel; spurn me, strike me,
Neglect me, lose me; only give me leave
(Unworthy as I am) to follow you.
What worser place can I beg in your love
(And yet a place of high respect with me)
Than to be used as you use your dog?”


I can see this character chasing after him, and trailing behind him. I can see her being pushed around by Demetrius and being ignored, and yet she recovers and continues to follow. She persistently tries to convince him that she’s the one for him, Helena might even try to hold his hand or put a hand on his shoulder to try to reconnect physically. She even seems desperate enough to cling onto his leg and beg for him to come back to her.

No comments: